The 2013 Rana Plaza collapsed in Savar, Bangladesh, killed over 1,100 workers and injured thousands more. What caused the collapse, and what could it take to prevent another disaster like it from ever happening again?
Check out this episode of Rocking our Priors, where Dr Alice Evans speaks with Professor Juliane Reinecke for some answers.
Help with terms and concepts:
- Open Sociology Dictionary: Power, Capitalism, Work, Globalization and Global Inequality
- Global Social Theory: Human Rights, Neoliberalism, and Postcolonialism
- Check out this (open access) documentary film UDITA (Arise)
- Follow along with this Guardian Interactive titled: The Shirt on Your Back
- And have a look at this interactive timeline, which showcases important trade agreements, global meetings and programs – all of which connect to garment making in Bangladesh, and other countries also
- Looking for another podcast on this topic? Check out this 2019 podcast on Rocking Our Priors where Professor Sanchita Saxena discusses her latest research.